Sunday, August 15, 2021

Sprinkler Head Installation

 

The last section of mainline installation was through #1 tee and down 18 fairway.

The final step of the mainline installation was the flushing of the line in order to get out any unwanted debris.  Here's a video of the final flush.


With the mainline finished it was finally time to start installing sprinklers.  We started on the far south end of the property since that was the easiest way to cut off the old system's water and power as we worked back to the north end where the power and water originates.  The first step in pulling laterals is to dig a hole at each point where a sprinkler head is to go.  

 
After that the lateral pipe is pulled at a depth of 18" through several of these holes using a vertical plow.  Check out this video of the process.
More often than we would like, the plow catches a pipe from the old system and instead of cutting through it, the blade just hooks it, and the old pipe starts to get pulled into the new plow line which causes all kinds of ugly surface disruption. 
The crew stops plowing when this happens and then they dig down to cut the old pipe and free up the plow blade. 


With the pipe now pulled into place, the team goes back to each hole that they had previously dug, and they install the sprinklers.  Here's a picture from the first day of this process where the team is getting a lesson on how this is done.  
Most of the team members have installed countless sprinkler heads on previous projects, but for some of them this is the first time.   
Each sprinkler head has a solenoid that is equipped with a unique address denoted by a series of numbers or letters.

At the end of each day I'm given a sheet which shows all the new addresses that I need to add into the computer.  Some days this can be as many as 60+ new spinkler heads, or addresses that need to be inputed into the software.
When you get everything inputed and the computer acknwledges each individual address or sprinkler, then you can immediately start watering.  Here's a picture of some of the first sprinklers that we got running on the new system.  It was a sight to behold.






Friday, June 18, 2021

Restoration

 All of May was spent installing mainline and restoring those "out of play" areas damaged by the tree removal phase of the project.  We applied hydroseed to about 50,000 square feet of area.




The hydroseed has a blend of annual ryegrass, turf type tall fescue, and chewings fescue.




Charging up and flushing some sections of the new HDPE mainline.

This narrow area behind 15 green was tricky since there was already stuff in the ground there like sewer, gas, power, and of course irrigation pipe. 


It was really wet the day the LU team was behind 11 green.  I thought the soft conditions would result in a lot of turf damage but they did a great job of cleaning up.  


This was the first section of pipe that they had to fuse togther in the trench.  It was facinating since part of the fusion machine is designed to be lifted off and placed in the trench when necessarry.  This was 8" pipe that crossed over 10 fairway and this fusion occured near 10 fairway bunker.


Brent Harvey came into town recently to get ready for the next phase which is pulling laterals.  This is when the sprinkler heads go in.  In this picture you can see them using that GPS stick thingy to pin point each sprinkler head location.  We made a lot on in field adjustments around the trees to try and get the best coverage and also minimize damge to the trees.





Now you can see the little feather things on the ground which mark the location of the new sprinkler heads.  

There are at least two feather things together around the greens.  This is how we achieve complete control of the firmness of the greens since one sprinkler only waters the green and the other only waters the surrounding area.







Sunday, May 30, 2021

The Mainline

 In April we started the mainline installation.  Click HERE for a map of the mainline. The pipe size ranges from 6" to 12" and all of the pipe is HDPE which lasts much longer than PVC pipe.  






















The Rail Berm

Throughout the month of March we worked on the rail berm project.  The reconstruction of this railroad berm adds some interesting ground contours to the right of the first green which needed to be completely rebuilt anyway since the tree removal there was so extensive.  It's also a nice reminder of how important the railroad is to the history of the Club and the city of Tacoma.